Mary welcomes publication of the Defects in Apartments Working group report. The 260 page report is a damning indictment of the construction of apartments and duplexes built between 1991 and 2013. The report identifies three types of defects including structural, fire and water ingress defects.
Government has already increased the regulation and control of new construction and it must now act swiftly to protect lives and homes by committing to:
- An Apartment Defects Remediation financial support scheme to ensure critical fire safety works are completed without delay
- Ensure Budget 2023 provides for an Apartment Defects Remediation Scheme
- Commit to retrospective compensation
- Apply an Industry levy to fund remediation scheme
- Continue to strengthen the regulation and control of all building construction
You can read the full report here.