Emergency Flood Relief

Following my representations on behalf of residents, the office of the Minister of OPW has informed me that under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) scheme, the Department of Social Protection makes exceptional needs payments (ENP) to help meet essential, once-off, exceptional expenditure, which cannot be met out of people’s weekly income.

In addition to the payment of ENPs, the Department also makes urgent needs payments, which can be made to persons who would not normally be entitled to SWA. The aftermath of flooding is one situation where urgent needs payments can be made.

Since the floods, Community Welfare Officers have been providing individuals with emergency payments to offset their immediate needs such as the purchase of food, clothing, fuel and household goods. Officials have made house to house calls to individuals they have identified as being vulnerable at this difficult time. In addition, special clinics have been established to offer help to affected households. If you need assistance you can contact the local welfare officers in Quarry Road on 01 868 0170 or in Millmount Clinic on 01-8840920. Click HERE for more.

All the best, Mary.