At a meeting of Dublin City Council last night I was critical of Dublin City Councils response to the flooding of October 24th and as leader of the Fianna Fail Group I proposed the following emergency motion which received unanimous support:
Emergency Motion from Fianna Fail Group
Dublin City Council should express our condolences to the families and friends of Garda Ciaran Jones and Nurse Celia de Jesus.
Dublin City Council should undertake the following:
- A comprehensive review of the flooding event of October 24th 2011 with a view to identifying what actions can be taken to reduce the risk of flooding in the city
- Establish an early warning system with Met Eireann to alert home owners in “at risk” areas of increased flood risk using text,email and web alerts
- Agree with Gardai a procedure for closing roads in areas “at risk” of flooding once an emergency has been declared
- Make an application to the Government for funds to be made available to people who are without insurance to cover repairs to their homes and temporary accommodation
- Immediately make available locally sand bags to properties that are “at risk” of flooding and seeking funding from the Government to make available “flood gates” to homes that have been repeatedly affected by flooding
- Liaise with other Government Departments and organise information sessions to inform people what they can do in advance to protect their properties from floods, what to do if a flood occurs, how to deal with any repairs/clean-up and any risks remaining in properties and what they can do to protect themselves (health wise). All information should be available on www.Dublincity.ie , distributed to all properties “at risk” and in all DCC libraries.
- DCC needs to provide a report on the effectiveness of the Swales in Glendhu and Park Road.
- DCC should provide an updated survey of the drainage system and make specific recommendations for drainage improvements to prevent future flooding in the following areas:
Cabra East (Cabra, Leix, Offally, Imaal Roads and surrounding roads)
Cabra West (Carnlough, Dingle, Drumcliff Roads)
Blackhorse Avenue, Martins Grove, Sprinfield & Park Crescent)
Glenhdu Park & Ashington Grove
Clonliffe, Ballybough and North Strand
Maryfield Crescent & Avenue
Ardmore Park and Drive
All the best, Mary.